Canvas prints can be a great way to add some character to a room, but we decided to take it one step further and show you how to make your favourite canvas print your new favourite light fixture.
It’s a lot easier than it sounds just follow our simple steps or take a look at the video to see exactly how we made this stunning New York light up LED canvas.
What do you need?
For this project you will require:
- A canvas print (any design)
- LED battery powered lights (any colour, making sure you have enough for your desired design) – shop for fairy lights
- Double sided sticky tape
- First you’ll need to choose the canvas you want to light up! It’s best to pick one where you can already imagine where the lights should be (that will help you with the next step) we chose this black and white photo of the Brooklyn Bridge.
- Next you need to choose the lights, this really comes down the colour you want your lights to be. For this one we chose 20 bright white LEDs on a clear cable, as they fit in nicely with the black and white, but depending on your canvas print you may want to use another colour. For example red and amber for the lights on a car.
- Now here’s where you can start to get a bit more imaginative, start really thinking about where you want the lights to go, maybe test how the light shines through in different areas of the canvas to make sure you get the best effect. We decided to place our lights where the lights on the bridge would traditionally be, this worked well as these areas of the canvas were lighter than others so allowed the light to shine through.
- Next you can place the double sided sticky tape in the areas that you want the lights to be, if you’re having trouble finding the spots you need to tape then you can lightly mark them out beforehand with a pencil.
- Now firmly press the LED lights onto the double sided tape making sure you keep checking that the light is in the right place. If necessary you can add more tape where needed to secure the lights further.
- Once you have continued to do this on all the areas you want to light up and you are happy with the result and placement, you can use some more double sided tape to secure the battery pack to the canvas.
And voila you have your own LED canvas!
Once you have the hang of it you can keep going and try more intricate designs and experiment with functions and colours, for this one we used pink LED wire lights.
However if DIY isn’t really your thing but you like the concept then you find lots of stunning pre-made LED canvas prints for your home right here on our website.