Looking for a super unique piece of wall art, but haven’t quite found the right thing? Look no further! The stars in the night sky are incredible and constellation patterns are so pretty to look at, so we thought why not have one hanging on your own wall?! In this blog and DIY video, we are going to show you step by step how to create an amazing constellation canvas that ACTUALLY LIGHTS UP – just like the real thing!
You could use any constellation, any star pattern, or add your favourite night sky quote to the design – the beauty of the idea of this canvas is that it is totally personal to you.
So, want to know how to create this super quick, easy and unique constellation canvas? Then keep watching!
You will need:
A box canvas in your desired size, battery fairy lights, acrylic paint in black or navy, paint brushes, a white paint marker and a hot glue gun with spare glue sticks.
- First, using your chosen colour of acrylic paint, you will need to fully cover the canvas including the sides. For this we used a sponge tip paint brush with a flat edge, as it meant we could create an even layer of paint more quickly and with a better finish than a paint brush. Then set the canvas aside to dry.
- Once completely dry, draw out the main stars and lines connecting to make the constellations. You could free-hand the design of your stars like we have, or you could print out a design or set of constellations that you love the style of to draw out.
- Add smaller stars and use a dotted pattern around the edges of the other bigger stars to mimic the real galaxy!
- Once you are happy with the constellations you’ve drawn on the canvas, set this aside to dry.
- When the canvas is fully dry it’s time for the fun part… adding the fairy lights! We’ve chosen to use our battery operated fairy lights with white LEDs. Using a hot glue gun, we carefully arranged the fairy lights in rows, in line with the stars we had drawn on the front. Be sure not to get any glue on the tip or underneath of the LED itself as this can effect the colour and strength of the light coming through.
TOP TIP: It is vital that the canvas background is fully dry once you start to draw on the constellations, or else the white paint pen will smudge and run into the background. It is also vital to make sure it is fully dry before adding the lights as the design will smudge when you flip it over if not!
… And you’re done! Then for the best part, getting to display your gorgeous canvas in your home or seeing the delight on the face of the recipient when you give this special canvas as a gift! For an extra special touch to this canvas as a gift, you could find out their star sign or the constellations on a night significant to them and create that star pattern as the design on the canvas!
If you’ve tried this DIY, then let us know in the comments section, and don’t forget to share your images on Twitter or tag us on Instagram, making sure you use our hashtag #ShareTheJoy – and we’ll share our favourites!
For more home lighting inspiration, and other DIYs, find us over on Pinterest!